The Mommy

The Mommy

about us...

I'm The Mommy, a SAHM to Maggie & Ellie. I'm married to Big Daddy, an engineer, grad student and our hard-working provider.
I blog instead of scrapbooking in hopes of preserving a part of our life for the future.
We enjoy beach trips, going to Church and spending time together...all as a family...because that's what we are.

our VP miracle, Maggie

our VP miracle, Maggie
loves homeschooling, sign language, Jesus, reading, church, writing songs and dancing

our sweet Ellie

our sweet Ellie
loves her sister, going to church and the library, singing, babies, chocolate and being naked

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Yes...I'm Still Alive

Boy, it's been a long time since I've been on a computer! We still aren't Internet-ready at our little apartment, but we should be the first part of next week. I've been keeping busy with my *two* girls and Big Daddy and I have been taking care of new house business. (Big Daddy took care of paint colors while we were in the hospital and we picked out light fixtures on Monday)
The Muffin & "Baby Ellie" (we always add the baby to the first of her name!) are at Nana's house while I'm next door at my sister's trying to look up a few things on the computer. I'm anxious to blog a little about our birth experience, since this blog acts as our family scrapbook.

Real quick, I'll give you a run down on our birth experience.

-Baby Ellie was delivered by VBAC...barely. She wasn't facing the right way which gave me back labor and caused her to get stuck...and bounce back and forth with every contraction...for a long time.
-My midwife, Peg, literally gave me 15 minutes to "move her" before she called the OB in. Everyone was so sure that we were going to have a c-section. My sister even left the L&D room so that they could prep me. I cried and prayed and Big Daddy and I kept pushing through my contractions while everyone else left the room so that I could come to terms with having to have another c-section. Peg convinced the doctor to give me a fair chance at moving her because she knew how important a VBAC was to me.
-I was determined and managed to do 7 pushes with each contraction in stead of the four pushes that my midwife suggested.
-Everyone was so surprised when Baby Ellie moved! The doctor actually said "You're doing it!". Peg told me on Sunday morning that no one thought it was possible and that hey were thisclose to getting me prepped for a c-section. She said my determination and pushing capabilities were amazing...and that I had a nice pelvis.
-It was fabulous...and long...and quite painful over the course of the 15 hours of labor on Saturday.
-Yes, I gave in and had an epidural...and it was a blessing. I will never regret it. I was able to be with The Muffin up until I started pushing around 7:30 pm. I still experienced quite a bit of pain.
-My favorite part of labor was pushing and seeing the silly grin on Big Daddy's face when Baby Ellie's head was visible.
-My favorite part of the birth was hearing Baby Ellie's first cry.
-My favorite part of after the birth was seeing how excited The Muffin was about her new sister.
-My least favorite part would have to be the whole placenta-thing. Of course, mine refused to come out and the OB had to get it out. ( I saw it and it was beautifully normal!!) This cause me lots of blood loss and made me pass out once right after the birth and again the next day. I was going to receive two units of blood, but because I managed to perk up they didn't give it to me. Therefore, I still look like a ghost.
-I love my midwives, Peg, Wesley & Rita.

Hopefully, I'll have the time to post a few pictures of the birth next week. I managed to snap a couple of pictures of Big Daddy cutting the umbilical cord. (The cord was also fabulously normal!!)
Until then... I'll be busy with The Muffin and wearing Baby Ellie in her sling as much as possible!


3 comments:

Tara said...

I'm so glad you were able to have a successful VBAC and everything was perfectly normal. Glad to hear from you and can't wait to see the pictures and hear more about the house. Fun stuff!

Joy@WDDCH said...

Nothing wrong with getting an epidural! I have a feeling I'll break down and get one (again) this time around! I have a low threshold for pain.

Congrats on such a beautiful, perfect baby girl!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

Yay! So glad everything went "well." I'm glad she made it, AND picking out fixtures sounds fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails