The Mommy

The Mommy

about us...

I'm The Mommy, a SAHM to Maggie & Ellie. I'm married to Big Daddy, an engineer, grad student and our hard-working provider.
I blog instead of scrapbooking in hopes of preserving a part of our life for the future.
We enjoy beach trips, going to Church and spending time together...all as a family...because that's what we are.

our VP miracle, Maggie

our VP miracle, Maggie
loves homeschooling, sign language, Jesus, reading, church, writing songs and dancing

our sweet Ellie

our sweet Ellie
loves her sister, going to church and the library, singing, babies, chocolate and being naked

Blog Archive

Monday, May 3, 2010

Motherhood Changes Things

I just realized that this will be my first Mother's Day with Ellie outside of my belly.

My first Mother's Day as a mom of two...girls.

I refer to my life before having kids as "when I was single". Of course, Big Daddy and I had been married for nearly 6 years when we welcomed our little Muffin, so I was hardly single! (Muffin's now less of a Muffin and more of a Maggie) I is more of a plural now that I'm a mom. If I say that I'll come, I'll probably be holding a little girl's hand or wearing a baby. (Ellie is no longer Baby Ellie, she's Big Ellie because she's growing so fast)

I remember my last few years before Motherhood...barely.
  • I would sleep until I woke up unless I had meetings or appointments with clients.
  • Because I was alone most evenings I would often do paperwork at home.
  • I always had my cell phone with me. Always.
  • I bought new clothes almost every week.
  • Big Daddy went to the gym at least three nights a week and went for a run and to the gym on Saturdays.
  • I was a size 6. A size 6.

Everything changed when I got pregnant with Maggie.

I had lots of complaints early on (as in immediately after I became pregnant). I was being treated for urinary tract infections and felt worse than I ever had before. I was only sleeping a few hours at night so I started going to work late, leaving early and spending lots of time on the couch cuddled up with a heating pad. I decided that there was something horribly wrong with me and that the doctor's would eventually figure out what it was.

A few weeks passed and I found out that I was pregnant. It was two weeks after my 28th birthday and I always said that I wanted to be finished having babies by the time I was 30. My real estate partner was the first person that I told, other than Big Daddy and my OB/GYN office. Since the doctor thought that the pregnancy may not be viable, I tried to cherish every minute. Two weeks later, we saw our little "Peanut" and heard her heartbeat. Two days after that, we told my family.

I went back to working "normal" hours and did everything like normal until January of 2006. I made the decision to take Thursdays off work since that was the day of my midwife appointments. I also left early...a lot. I took naps and rested and tried to enjoy being pregnant.

Fast forward to now.

  • I wake up when someone cries, whines or calls my name because their stuffed animal fell out of the bed...usually more than one time a night.
  • I always have a big diaper bag, a baby on my hip or a little girl holding my hand.
  • I start to panic if I realize that the sling, stroller or the Baby K'Tan are not in the car.
  • I only buy new clothes for me when I really need them.
  • I'm not a size 6, but I know the easiest way to lose 20 pounds is to take Ellie out of the sling!
  • I know all sorts of things about the Disney Princess movies that I'd never seen before now.
  • I had never heard of Vasa Previa.
Of course, these aren't the only things that have changed! The changes are to numerous to list. Life is better, but so much busier.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

ahhh, the life before kids! It's sweet to remember, isn't it? We can do that and it doesn't mean we don't want our children! Soon enough, all of my kiddos will be 15 1/2 like my oldest, and won't really "need" me anymore. :( Happy Week Before Mother's Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails