The Mommy

The Mommy

about us...

I'm The Mommy, a SAHM to Maggie & Ellie. I'm married to Big Daddy, an engineer, grad student and our hard-working provider.
I blog instead of scrapbooking in hopes of preserving a part of our life for the future.
We enjoy beach trips, going to Church and spending time together...all as a family...because that's what we are.

our VP miracle, Maggie

our VP miracle, Maggie
loves homeschooling, sign language, Jesus, reading, church, writing songs and dancing

our sweet Ellie

our sweet Ellie
loves her sister, going to church and the library, singing, babies, chocolate and being naked

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Enlighten Me

My phone rang on Monday and I got all excited. It was my mommy friend A's ring. She called earlier than we usually talk and it was a preschool day. Ellie was being fed in her highchair and Muff was happily chowing down on something. As soon as the phone touched my ear, Muff and Ellie started playing and laughing. After a few minutes Muff left the room. It wasn't long before she was yelling for me to wipe her bottom. Because I'm a good mom I yelled, "Wipe it yourself". She chose to spend the next ten minutes yelling, "COME WIPE ME". Then Ellie started crying.

After I finished my phone call (yes, I made her wait) I went to the bathroom to check on her and she had only peed. I reminded her a) to be quiet when mommy's on the phone and b) I don't wipe pee pee bottoms.

So...my phone conversation with A was cut short and I finally called her back yesterday. We talked and talked until her big boy, C, needed her. We can't have a conversation over the phone without one of our four combined children needing us.

Last night, I wanted to go to the pharmacy to get a pumice or something to help with my horrible feet, but it didn't happen. There was a baby to feed, dishes to wash, a kitchen to clean and husband that wanted to talk about his day and the beach. Then there was a husband that needed to do his homework, a baby that was fussing and a big girl to bathe. Then came two little girls that needed to go to bed. It seems never-ending.

At least a few times a day I think, "I can't wait to____". Usually the blank is filled with shop alone or sleep. I'll do both when I'm older, I guess.

The truth is, these are the days that I'm going to miss the most. Sometimes I just want Baby Ellie to crawl and get all of her teeth so that she'll stop fussing. But then I'll have no more babies.

I read MckMamas blog today and found out she was pregnant. I'm jealous. But I'm also finished. If anyone would have ever told me that two wouldn't feel like enough, I would not have believed them. My friend A and I talk about this all the time.

Big Daddy is SO content with two. Two little girls. Two pink shotguns. Two college funds.

We talk about how three would make us want a fourth bedroom (because Big Daddy must have his bonus room) and a minivan and we'd never get to have a beach house or a date night for goodness sakes.

So...on certain days two is enough and other days I wonder how we could not have three.

There aren't plans for any more McMillan Miracles but please enlighten me...how do you know when you're really done???


4 comments:

Tara said...

I can't enlighten you on "how you know when you are done" because I don't know myself. I thought you were wanting to be enlightened on why it is that EVERYtime we get on the phone, we are needed and screaming ensues. Here, it.never.fails, Penny and Andrew start playing which means squealing and barking.

Christina said...

OMGosh! You just know! That's all I know to say! Two was enough for me. I didn't really want a third, of course now I am so thankful that GOD chose to bless us with Joshua, but I could not handle any more children! I don't know how moms with 4 or more children do it, I really don't!! I honestly think 2 children is the perfect number, there's always a playmate, no one is ever left out, you and Big Daddy aren't out numbered!!

It's really a personal decision and when it's time to make a more permanent decision you will know and be completely comfortable with your choice!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

I know that I'm done with being pregnant. When my third was born I had a very difficult time recovering physically. But as far as being a mother is concerned I would love to have more children in my life. And perhaps even a girl...since I have three sons! So I'm praying about it.

Lisa said...

Loved this post! I agree, it seems like I'm always waiting for ME time. I ask myself regularly, what did I do before Little Man, when the other two were in school all day! My situation is different in that I THOUGHT I was done, after the first two! But when I think back, I never did take a permanent action, something just always "kept coming up". So surprise, along comes LM, miracle baby all the way, life changing. I KNEW without a doubt I was done! My advice, if you don't know how to tell if you're done, then don't do anything permanent yet. You'll just know when it's time. Everything will make sense, and that little tiny nagging "what if" won't even exist! Have a great week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails